Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'm sure I have to work, but are we sure I have to work HERE?

i love my job.

ok, i love one of my jobs. as of june i am the associate pastor of youth and communications (a really long title for a job that you're only supposed to work at 15 hrs a week...) at the denton nazarene church. that's the job i love. take note of my last post... they pay me to do this???

the job i don't love so much is the job that i actually need. i mean, i need the paycheck, i need the benefits. i don't love the hours. i don't love the lack of flexibility that means that i can't do all the things that i want to do with the job that i do love. i don't love that my only week of vacation is now gone because i went to teen camp. i don't love the tension that is always brewing. i don't love working late every friday night.

i know i have to have another job. part - time youth pastors frankly aren't the mostly highly compensated folks out there. i don't mind having another job. but i would really like one that works better with the job i do like. it would make me a much nicer person. i promise. :)

so for a while now i've wanting to go back to what i was doing when i first came here - full time substituting. it would mean flexible days and hours. it would mean all day with kids again. it would be a paycheck not much different than the one i bring home now. it would mean no pay when i don't work - either my choice or vacation. it would mean no insurance.

so, do the pros outweigh the cons? can i responsibly make the choice i want to make? school starts soon... do i start with it, or stick with the reliable job that stresses me out?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I have been thinking about this!Wow, I really had no clue the original job was getting to you. I mean I have heard some of your gripes (like why did they have to come in with all this loose change for me to roll? :-) ) Anyway, I am going back to something that you have asked me before--What are you more passionate about--see I listen to you every once in a while. You deal with the youth of your church, and you were in education before which would make you great in the education field. You do have a great knack and care for all kids you come in contact with--even your girls. Although you really do not like the other job, you are good at relating to people and you work with great people (they seem nice according to you)and you meet people you know on a regular basis! You do have a point--there is the benefits. You needed it with your jaw. Yeah the hours do stink a bit. I mean my hours are crazy because of what is after school sometimes. A suggestion would be also to look for full-time aide--they exsist--one in Dorchester-but no flexibility except holiday and summers and possibly the benefits :-) Good point, but do what would really make you happy. If the kids make you happy then go back to subbing. (Might want to consider teaching degree--told you to go for it before) :-) Smile and keep head up!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Before the Rain Bath and Body Products said...

I know what I would do and I know what I think YOU should do. But I'm not going to tell you. Pray about it and pray some more. I'll pray for you too.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

hmm alison. nobody else can decide that for you. i don't envy your dilema though. i will keep you in mind during prayer.

ps. you've been added to the links, you frequent poster and commentor, you. ;)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

so, Alipan, have you landed on a decision yet?

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for ya. I think you should just move back here to VT!!! J/K. I know you love it there. Can you get state insurance there, or is it a pain like here? Can you work part time in the job your in and leave a few days open for subbing and if they dont call you on those days you get them off for chilling?!!! But really Alison, you know better than any what is best for you. I'll keep praying. Love ya girl!!!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You asked for comments and it seems to me that you got lots of comments and they are not what you wanted. One of the fun things about being a grown up is making mistakes. The only thing we really can do is try to follow the steps that the Lord has set out before us and love him. This is what free will is all about. It seems to me that you really want someone to tell you what to do and I agree with most of the other bloggers that you are the only one that can truly make the right decision for you. You are the only one that understands your finances and what you are willing to give up in for this decision. So best of luck to you on this one. I, like everyone else, will be praying for guidance that you do the right thing.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home