Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Apparently I'm Wearing A Sign

*I actually wrote this post on Friday night, but this is the first time I've been near an internet connection *

A great big, neon flashing sign. One that says “Crazy Men Accepted Here”, or something to that effect. Not being a weird and/or crazy man myself, I can’t actually see it, only its effects.

I have been in possession of said sign for quite some time, since high school definitely, maybe even longer. However, it seems to have gained some brilliance and attraction over the last four months that I’ve been in Delaware. You see, since I’ve been here across my path have wandered some of the most interesting characters. First there was Greg* from Florida (aka the wedding guy or the drunk guy), he’s the real reason for this post, but more about him in a bit. Then, only days later, there was Josh, the random phone call boy, and after that blind date mustache Jason. More recently we have seen Convict Rob and Wayne Gaspipe** and his friend Bubs***. That’s not to mention all the characters you meet teaching middle and high school… All of these guys have great stories attached to them, ask sometime and I’ll tell you all about them, but right now we need to focus on Greg.

It’s 11 o’clock on the first night I’ve had off in who knows when, I’m laying on the couch, half asleep and my phone rings… who calls at this hour??? Only Greg… driving under the influence none the less. To whine about a work Christmas party, to tell me that I have the sweetest voice he’s ever heard, and to ask if he can come to visit for the weekend sometime. We talked for about an hour… well, mostly I listened and he talked. The guy is practically a stranger, I served him beer all afternoon at a wedding in August, that’s all. But yet, I’m the person he NEEDS to talk to in the middle of the night when he’s been in a fight, or the middle of the afternoon when his dog runs away. I swear he gets creepier every time I talk to him. Had he been this creepy the first time I talked to him, it would have been the last time.

I just don’t get it. What I want to know is how do I end up in situations like this??? I mean, how is it that all the weird guys in the world end up flocking to me and I can’t find one decent guy who loves Jesus, ice cream, and a nice girl like me? Could it be that I’m too nice, that no one else will talk to them so they keep talking to me? If that’s the case, I need to work on being more rude or something.

Any insight or help on how to remove my neon sign would be much appreciated.




* didn’t even bother to change his name because he doesn’t even own a computer
** name changed to protect the innocent
*** actual name left to laugh at the innocent :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mommy of Four said...

Ah, yes....I always say only freaks were attracted to me. I always ended up with stalkers. Literally. I had two PPOs out on two guys. One of them ended up in jail after I left for college, I think. Weirdos like normal chicks...especially the one who are nice to them. My advice? Stop being so nice to guys. I quit giving them the time of day and it really filtered out the crazies...and only Dane slipped through:) I smile as I type this, because I, too, find your situation far too familiar. It will end...someday...try wearing a ring on your finger....that helps filter a lot of them out, too. But I promise, it won't last forever...just don't talk to crazies who call you while driving under the influence...especially for an hour! Tell him you're busy, or don't answer the phone. Quit being so nice!

6:03 PM  
Blogger matthew said...

I find this post comical. I have no advice though. And even if I did I wouldn't give it to ya. We crazy guys have a code of honor.

2:58 AM  
Blogger Before the Rain Bath and Body Products said...

Let them go. They suck up your time and energy that could be better spent elsewhere. They will also give you a negative attitude about males in general which will not help you attract the worthwhile men. I used to have my fair share of the needy opposite sex latch on to me too. I know you know the stories. If you don't remember them I'll refresh your memory some time. A relationship (including friendships in this term) must go two ways. If you are finding these guys aren't giving anything back especially cut the ties. After the first time it will get easier.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
First of all, isn't it weird how that parkranger person knows us all?????!!!!
Secondly, I would like to affirm the theory that creepy guys like normal girls, and add that normal guys like crazy girls. I don't know why this is either.

Now it's confession time for me. I have an add on Christian Cafe. I could tell you it's to meet friends, but that would be lying. So anyway,all the people that message me a.) live in timbucktoo. b.) are the age of my dad + 10 years,
c.) want me to be the mother of their 6 kids (all alive now and under the age of 10 or d.) have a mullet. Does anything about me say "I'd do anything for a man with a mullet"? If anything I'd hoped my profile said the opposite! Anyway I'm rambling.

Be mean, but not a bitch, classy girls (like us) know the difference.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home