Monday, March 13, 2006

the LOVE message

Jeremiah wants to know how the sermon went, so I'll give you my best summation... but really, I hate doing things like that. Self evaluation is not really my strong suit... I always tell people to ask someone who was there.

But anyway... I think it went pretty well. I think I went a little longer than I expected, but with the congregational involvement that I had that took up some extra time. Speaking of congregational involvement, I think that was the highlight for me. I had five men come up and read scripture passages about the love of God to their wives. No one knew that it was scripture though. That sounds funny, but it worked really well. And the last guy who read broke down and cried when he was reading to his wife. It was so touching. He said "After 40 years I don't need any paper to tell me what to say to my wife to tell her how much I love her." and then he read what I had written out for him anyway. it may sound a little cheesy on paper, but really it was just so touching. Every girl in the place was swooning, wishing that was HER husband up there.

Another highlight: A woman of around 70-75 came up to me after the service and said to me "When I came here this morning I said to my husband - I don't like woman preachers. But you did a great job. I was raised to think that that was something women just didn't do. But I was really proud of you and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for changing my mind." Yeah, I felt good. Hopefully it wasn't just my charm though ;) I hope there was a little God message behind it too :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh, Alison, sounds like it went well. Both highlights seem like very special moments thanks for sharing.

In other news. I rented an Ally DVD. It had Larry leaving (which i had never seen before) with the note, and the snowman, and, and, and... "Alison give me your hand".

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home