Saturday, January 08, 2005

Getting Settled in Elementary School (or, fifth grade boys drive me crazy!)

Yesterday I finished my first week as an official school employee. There were challenges for sure... moments of triumph on occasion, but definitely challenges.

High Points
- getting one of those teacher plan books... oh did I feel grown up and official :)
- explaining telling time and he really understood it... and even got excited!
- sitting next to my first grade teacher in the teachers room and actually feeling like a peer
Low Points
- hearing him say "I'm moving! Then I won't ever have to see Ms. Lapan again!"
- recess duty every day in the freezing cold and snow and ice
- hearing the accounting officer in central office say "I don't even have a hire form for you, are you sure you've been hired?"

This week was up and down for a number of reasons, and all in all just a little rough. I'm hoping next week will go much more smoothly. First of all we have a full week with no interruptions (provided we don't have another snow day) that's got to help with the flow of the week. And of course, he's getting a little more used to me and I'm getting more used to him and our schedule. It's a lot to get adjusted to!

While I like working in the school alright so far... don't anyone be looking for a change of plan from me any time soon. I have no intention of working in education again after this... no matter how many times a day I get asked when I'm getting my teaching certificate!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, maybe this is just in lieu of the fact that you have sorta become a teacher, but I could always see you doing that, even though I don't think you were studying for it. take that for what it's worth :)

8:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah Gomez said...

you should blog more. Why?? Because i miss you!!!
Think of me ;)

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home