Saturday, December 25, 2004

My Christmas Dilemna

Every year I face the same problem... and this year might have been the worst yet. I, like so many people, come from a divided household. My mom is a Christian and my dad is not. But more than just not being a Christian he is anti-christian and anything that has to do with "going to church". We fight often about this subject, but never is it more heartwrenching and hurtful than at Christmas.

Every year on Christmas eve I have a choice to make. Will I stay home and not go to church, keeping my father happy and keeping the family together, avoiding a huge fight and probably having good bonding time. Or, will I go to church like I want to and celebrate the real meaning of Christmas.

I'd really love to hear some others thoughts on this problem. Am I being a hypocrite and not standing up for my faith if I chose to stay home on Christmas Eve? Am I ruining my chances of being a witness by hurting my relationship with my father? Is the service worth all the threats, attacks, and tears? Am I a "bad" Christian if I'm not in church when we celebrate the birth of Christ? Which father am I supposed to be loyal to? My earthly father? My Heavenly Father? Or is it a question of loyalty and disloyalty?

Let me know what you think, and later I'll tell you what I chose and how it worked out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Alison, I do see how you might want to join other believers in a church gathering. However I do agree with Steve. Sometimes going to another church event means nothing to those we want so badly to know who Christ is. Your family must know that you are a Christian, so your leaving them will communicate nothing except that you love the church more than them. Now, don't take that the wrong way. I know you love God, and most likely would prefer to spend time with others who believe as you do. I want the same! But isn't it more important that you love on your family, those who don't believe, so that they might see Christ in you and learn how much Christ loves them? I think so! God knows how much you love him, and he knows that you appreciate this season for what it really means. And Christ's life was lived for the sole purpose of loving people into the Kingdom! So, I would encourage you to remember that to live as a follower of Christ means to love. The root of our belief is how much God loves us. Stay home. Love on your family. Show them Christ.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even though this comment comes way after your choice, i agree with steven and judy here - your obligations is to your family at this time. steven made a great point - if there's no way for you to get your dad to go to church with you, then, in essence, you going to church would cause more harm than good. i don't know if you feel like it's your "duty" to go to church at this time (since it's one of our prime holidays), but if that is your view on it, then you've lost the point anyway...not saying this is how you view things, but as an option i figured i'd address it. anyway, it's all relative anyway, so i hope you made the decision that's most right to you, in your heart.

-curly-haired freshman

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home